An interactive online resource for surgeons
eSurgery is designed to support practitioners in the early years of surgical training. It has been developed by The Royal College of Surgeons of England in conjunction with Health Education England e-Learning for Healthcare.
Online surgical training
eSurgery helps you to develop the basic knowledge and skills required of a surgeon. It provides broad theoretical knowledge common to all surgical specialties.
The clinical content, which maps to the UK's Intercollegiate Surgical Curriculum Programme, covers topics such as peri-operative care and organ/tissue transplantation. The learning sessions include a number of interactive features, such as video/audio clips and animations, to help reinforce learning. Each session takes around 20 to 30 minutes to complete.
eSurgery can be accessed online 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can study at your own pace in the workplace, at home or on the move. The learning can be tailored to your training needs, and the sessions can be completed in any order.
- Pre-operative assessment in general and the care of patients with specific conditions, such as diabetes, renal failure and common endocrine disorders
- Intra-operative care and management of patients, including safe positioning, fluid management, tourniquet use and the role of radiation, together with safety-related issues, such as sharps management, infection control, and incision and closure
- Post-operative monitoring, wound management, management of complications, record keeping and nutritional support
- Principles of transplant immunology and immunosuppression
- Tissue donation, procurement and whole organ transplantation
Basic Science (nine sessions currently available):
- Importance of homeostatic control
- Abdominal viscera: appendix
- Development embryology of heart and great vessels
- Upper limb: upper arm
- Abdominal viscera: large intestine
- Lower limb: foot (part A)
- Autonomic nervous system (part A)
- Autonomic nervous system (part B)
- Abdominal viscera biliary anatomy
Basic Surgical Skills (two sessions currently available):
- Wound management
- Incision and closure of skin and subcutaneous tissue
Single-user access to the eSurgery e-learning programme for 12 months costs £85 (excluding VAT where applicable). To purchase a licence, please click on the ‘Register’ button below.
Once you have submitted your details and your payment has been processed, your account details (user name and password) will be emailed to you within two to three working days.