Interactive learning that covers all aspects of DoLS legislation
This e-learning programme equips medical practitioners with the knowledge to work as mental health assessors in relation to Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) legislation. The programme has been developed by the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the Department of Health and Health Education England e-Learning for Healthcare.
As a doctor, once you have completed this training, you can play a vital part in protecting the rights of vulnerable people who lack the capacity to make decisions about their care or treatment. This may involve determining whether a person’s deprivation of liberty is lawful and in their best interests in conjunction with other assessors. It is therefore vital that you have a thorough understanding of the relevant legislation.
Training on deprivation of liberty safeguards
This highly interactive and engaging e-learning training programme includes:
- a pre-test on the Mental Capacity Act (MCA)
- five DoLS knowledge sessions
- a final test of understanding.
Individual sessions typically take around 20-30 minutes to complete. The content has been written and extensively peer-reviewed by subject-matter experts from the field of psychiatry. So, the training meets the highest professional standards.
e-Learning Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards is available online 24/7 so you can study anywhere, at any time.
Before taking this training, you should check that you meet the criteria for doctors who are eligible to carry out the mental health assessment under the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards.
You must be:
- approved under section 12 of the Mental Health Act 1983; or
- a registered medical practitioner has at least three years’ post-registration experience in the diagnosis or treatment of mental disorders*
- have successfully completed the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Mental Health Assessors' training programme made available by the Royal College of Psychiatrists*
*to the satisfaction of the relevant supervisory body.
DoLS is an integral part of the Mental Capacity Act (MCA) and it is essential that you have a good practical knowledge of this legislation.
Certificate of completion for DoLS online training
During this training programme, you must complete and successfully pass the MCA Test of Understanding before moving on to other sessions. You will also need to pass the DoLS Test of Understanding. Once you have passed both tests, you can generate a certificate, which can be presented to a supervisory body as evidence of successful completion of the DoLS online training programme.
e-Learning Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards includes the following:
- Assessment on the Mental Capacity Act (MCA). The user must pass with a score of 85% or more to move onto the knowledge sessions.
- Legal and Process Overview.
- Best Interests, Age and No Refusal Assessments.
- The Mental Capacity Act.
- The Mental Health Assessment.
- The Eligibility Assessment.
- DoLS Test of Understanding. The user must pass with a score of 85% or more in order to attain the DoLS certificate.
Single-user access to the e-Learning Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards programme for 12 months costs £50 (excluding VAT where applicable). To purchase a licence, please click on the ‘Register’ button below.
Once you have submitted your details and your payment has been processed, your account details (user name and password) will be emailed to you within two to three working days.