An e-learning resource for dental trainees and practitioners
e-Den features interactive learning sessions that cover all aspects of the dental curriculum, from patient assessment through to periodontal disease and teeth restoration. The programme is aimed at dental trainees but it also contributes towards continuing professional development for qualified dentists, hygienists, nurses and technicians.
Using e-Den, you can gain experience in the assessment, diagnosis and management of a wide variety of dental issues, as well as softer skills such as communication. The sessions are packed with images, animations and self-assessment questions, which help to enhance learning and understanding. The learning content has been written by leading dental professionals in the UK.
Flexible dental training 24/7
e-Den is available via the Internet so you can study anytime, anywhere. You can work through the modules at your own pace, focusing on subjects relevant to your specialty. The programme has been produced by the Faculty of Dental Surgery, of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, and Health Education England e-Learning for Healthcare.
This online dental training programme is arranged into 12 modules.
Module 1 – Patient Assessment
- Profiling the Patient
- Assessment Methods and Techniques
- Good Practice
- Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Module 2 – Human Diseases/Medical and Dental Emergencies
- Medical Topics and Dentistry
- Medical Emergencies in Dentistry
Module 3 – Anxiety and Pain Control in Dentistry
- Principles of Dental Pain
- Mediators of Central Pain
- Dental Local Anaesthesia
- Dental Local Anaesthetic Technique
- Management of Dental Pain
- Non-pharmacological Anxiety Management
- Intravenous Sedation
- Inhalation Sedation
- Dental General Anaesthesia
Module 4 – Periodontal Disease and Management
- Aetiology of Periodontal Disease
- Periodontal Diagnosis and Determination of Prognosis
- Periodontal Treatment Options
- Patient Education and Self-performed Plaque Control
- Non-surgical Periodontal Therapy
- Surgical Periodontal Therapy
Module 5 – Hard and Soft Tissue Surgery
- Pre- and Post-operative Assessment
- Surgical Dentistry
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
- Management of Unerupted, Impacted, Ectopic and Supernumerary Teeth
- Management of Benign Soft Tissue Lesions
Module 6 – Surgical and Non-surgical Management of Head and Neck Disease
- Accurate Drug History and Relevance of Allergies
- Odontogenic Infections
- Management of Oral Mucosal Diseases
- Neoplastic and Non-neoplastic Disease of the Head and Neck
- Craniofacial Pain Disorders
Module 7 – Management of the Developing Dentition
- Oral Habits and Occlusal Trauma in the Mixed Dentition
- Emergency Care and Management of Orthodontal Problems
- Simple Removable Appliances
- Contemporary Orthodontics
- Normal Facial Growth and Dental Development
- Abnormalities of Facial Growth and Dental Development
- Orthodontic Indices
- Assessment for Interceptive Treatment
- Space Maintenance
Module 8 – Restoration of Teeth
- Restoration of Permanent Teeth
- Restoration of Deciduous Teeth
- Aesthetic Dentistry
- Dental Biomaterials
- Tooth Surface Loss
- Dental Trauma
Module 9 – Replacement of Teeth
- Complete Dentures
- Partial Dentures
Module 10 – Communication
- Patient and the Family
- Other Professionals
Module 11 – Professionalism
- The Clinical Team and Peers
Module 12 – Management and Leadership
- The Need for Effective Leadership and Management
- Quality in Healthcare
- Risk Management
- Change Management
- Managing a Business
- Healthcare Systems
- Professional Practice
Below are two real sessions from e-Den which, in common with all e-Den sessions, have been written by subject specialists. These demonstrate how the e-learning works, how multimedia features such as animation support learning, and how you can assess your knowledge.
This session considers the potential of food and drink to cause dental erosion and how the effects of this can be measured in the laboratory.
Anatomy Relevant to Conscious Sedation in Dental Practice
This session covers the aspects of basic anatomy that are relevant to conscious sedation.
e-Den delivers better informed, better trained dentists, which ultimately leads to improved patient care.
Fatima Bulbulia, Faculty of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons of England
This versatile learning resource provides educational support for dental trainees...and it will also contribute to continuing professional development of the entire dental team. With its flexibility and dynamic content, e-Den is a new tool for a new age.
Professor Paul Brunton, e-Den Clinical Lead
Single-user access to the e-Den e-learning programme for 12 months costs £199 (excluding VAT where applicable). You may also pay by monthly or quarterly subscription. To purchase a licence, please click on the ‘Register’ button below.
Once you have submitted your details and your payment has been processed, your account details (user name and password) will be emailed to you within two to three working days.